This past week has been spring break for me, so I've been taking advantage of the time to print.
I did this print on a whim (so glad I tore all that paper last week). I had rolled out a lot of Akua Intaglio ink for some other prints, but couldn't use it, so instead of trying to save it, I pulled out these blocks again. I'm so glad I did because the intense color really transformed the landscape and really brings out the roughness of the blocks.
I had rolled out the Akua Intaglio thinking it would work well for gelatin monotypes, but it did not. I guess since the Akua Intaglio contains soybean oil and the gelatin contains water and gives off a little bit of water, it affected the consistency of the ink. Here you can see how the ink is sort of textured in the red oxide area--I had to use a lot of ink to get close to the even coverage I was looking for.The Akua Kolor, which is of course made for monotypes, worked beautifully with a small amount of tack thickener mixed in. The print below was done mostly with Akua Intaglio, but there is one layer of Akua Kolor in burnt siena. I can't wait to play with it more. Thank you Akua for being wonderful.
I also drew out this block with a hydrangea (my favorite flower) and will get carving soon. This will be my largest and most detailed block so far. I want to keep the carving loose while still getting all those petal shapes, so that will be an interested challenge. Earlier this week, I found out that I got a Creative Baltimore Individual Artist grant. Yay! This has resulted in much jumping up and down and dancing. This grant puts the press I've been eyeing and saving for within reach, so I'll be getting it soon. Who knows, maybe by the time I'm done carving this block I will have my new press!